Here's a dress I put together last weekend, after chopping up an old skirt that belonged to my sister (Cath, remember this one?). It was so easy to do.
I cut off about a 30cm piece from the top of the skirt and turned it into the bodice. Because the skirt was lined, there was enough fabric there to line the bodice as well. I used the bodice pattern from the 'gracie' dress (how appropriate!) by Portabellopixie.
The bodice turned out pretty huge and had a serious plunge neckline going on.
And since I think little girls should be sweet and modest, I added a frill around the V neck for coverage. Looks much better!
I gathered what was left of the original skirt, and stitched it to the bodice.
And the dress was complete- easy!
Here's my pile of left over fabric, zip, tag etc...so as you can see, not much fabric went to waste.